• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Sri Lanka Pulls Plug on Casinos

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Fri 30 Jan 2015 at 09:55
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Sri Lanka’s new government has rescinded the previous administration’s approval of casinos for three resorts planned for the capital of Colombo.

The move was widely expected as fulfillment of a campaign promise given by new President Maithripala Sirisena to cancel the licenses, which had been granted by his predecessor, Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Mr Rajapaksa, who governed the country virtually unopposed for 10 years, supported gaming expansion as a means of boosting the island nation’s economy through increased tourism and foreign investment. However, the plan was never popular with influential religious leaders of the country’s Buddhist-Sinhalese majority and was criticized heavily both by opposition parties and segments of Mr Rajapaksa’s own coalition partners, who feared the industry would undermine traditional values and lead to a variety of social ills.

Mr Sirisena defeated Mr Rajapaksa in an election held the 8th of January.

The casinos canceled include one slated for a US$400 million resort hotel planned by Australia’s Crown Resorts. Lake Leisure, as it’s called, was to be built in the capital’s popular tourist core. Casinos are also gone from a $300 million resort proposal called Queensbury, backed by local company Vallibel One, which owns two of Sri Lanka’s three existing casinos, and an $850 million resort called Water Front Properties proposed by hospitality giant John Keells Holdings, the country’s largest publicly traded company.

The new Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said gazette notices that gave tax concessions to the projects had been amended. “We have decided to ban such approval for casinos,” he told the parliament. “But they can conduct all other activities,” he said, referring to hotel and residential apartments included in the projects.

In the meantime, all existing casino licenses also will be reviewed and in future will be restricted to a specific area of the island, cabinet spokesman Rajitha Senaratne said.

RelatedPosts

Former Crown owner James Packer accuses lawmakers, regulators of trying to destroy Australian casino industry

Former Crown owner James Packer accuses lawmakers, regulators of trying to destroy Australian casino industry

Mon 24 Nov 2025 at 04:38
Sri Lanka to open casino at Colombo Lotus Tower

Sri Lankan President gazettes implementation of new Gambling Regulatory Authority Act from 1 December 2025

Wed 19 Nov 2025 at 05:03
2025 Asian Gaming Power 50: Number 24 – David Tsai

2025 Asian Gaming Power 50: Number 24 – David Tsai

Mon 10 Nov 2025 at 18:28
Oz Casinos: What now?

Crown Resorts reports FY25 net profit of US$94 million, first in five years

Wed 29 Oct 2025 at 14:05
Load More
Tags: Crown ResortsJohn KeellsSri LankaVallibel One
Share1Share
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English