• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 30 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Junkets Regroup, Expand Farther Afield

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Mon 19 Jan 2015 at 23:16
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Macau junket operator David Group is shifting its business focus in response to the VIP slowdown in Macau by downsizing its operation while pursuing growth opportunities elsewhere in Asia.

The moves include closing, at least for the time being, three of the seven high roller salons it controls in casinos in the Chinese gambling hub.

“We’re adjusting our business strategy; this is a general trend in the industry,” Frank Ng, director of corporate communications, told Bloomberg.

He added that the company is closely monitoring market conditions and can reopen the rooms if and when the business climate improves.

“We’re hibernating. Once we wake up, we can restart,” he said.

Junkets generate the majority of Macau’s world-leading gaming revenues, more than 60% historically, by arranging travel to casinos for their wealthy clients, mostly mainland Chinese, and providing them credit in exchange for a share of the win in the rooms they operate, which is generally around 40% by agreement with the casinos.

But their profits in Macau have been battered over the last year as mainland VIPs are avoiding the city in increasing numbers due to several factors. The market suffered its first year-on-year decline in gaming revenue in the post-monopoly era in 2014, dipping 2.6% to US$44.1 billion. VIP revenue fell by $3 billion to $26 billion, and analysts expect that to shrink further this year, with no clear visibility on the timing of a recovery.

“Macau gaming revenue will recover but VIP revenues will not enjoy the exponential growth of previous years,” as Paul Bromberg of industry consultants Spectrum Asia has noted.

The causes have been well-publicized:

Mainland China is in the throes of a massive central government crackdown on high-level corruption whose aims include stemming illicit capital flight, which is endemic to the country, and taking a tougher stand against the evasion of strict daily and annual limits on the amount of yuan that can legally be taken out of the country. Transit visa rules also are being more strictly enforced, cutting down on the number and frequency of visits to places like Macau.

At the same time, the Chinese economy is growing at its slowest pace in years, and property prices, the locus of much of the country’s individual wealth, and its debt, have been falling.

One effect is that VIPs are borrowing less and/or taking longer to repay their markers, which has contributed to a liquidity crisis within the junket infrastructure. Smaller, less well-capitalized promoters are being forced out of business and larger promoters are more focused than ever on consolidating operations and rationalizing costs.

Their casinos partners are doing much the same, reallocating scarce resources—new table games are strictly rationed by the Macau government to 3% growth per year—to higher-margin high-limit cash play and renegotiating terms with their VIP room operators.

“Junket consolidation is likely to be one of the key themes in 2015 as market volume (both official and side-betting) shrinks,” said Credit Suisse analysts Kenneth Fong and Isis Wong in a recent client note. “Going forward, we expect more small- to mid- size junket group quitting the business, leaving the junkets with stronger balance sheets behind. Despite the short- and medium-term volatilities, this should benefit the system’s long term stability, in our view.”

A crackdown on money laundering by law enforcement agencies in China, Macau, Hong Kong, the United States and worldwide also has cast the junkets in an unwelcome spotlight, and casinos are under increasing pressure—particularly the three Macau operators that are subsidiaries of US companies—to step up scrutiny of their junket contractors, their players and the sources of their funding.

Finally, with the market under increasing pressure from Beijing and the local government to diversify the Macau economy away from its near-total dependence on casinos for tax revenue, capital investment and employment, the casinos operators, mindful that their licenses are coming up for renewal beginning in 2020, naturally are shifting most of the billions of dollars they’re plowing into new resort construction toward more tourist-oriented, non-gaming offerings.

Pivoting with the prevailing winds, David Group, ranked as one of the city’s 10 largest junkets with an estimated 3-5% market share, is joining leading competitors such as Suncity Group and Hengsheng Group in diversifying into other businesses and into new and emerging gaming markets.

The latter course is appealing on a number of levels:

Accessibility is one, as visa rules tend to be more flexible in other Asian countries. It’s safer politically, with less scrutiny from the Chinese government. Casinos eager for the business tend to offer lower qualifications and more generous terms. The lower tax thresholds they generally operate under make it more profitable for them to do so. And this can be less risky and potentially more lucrative for the junkets as their income streams outside Macau tend to be based on a percentage share, known as commissions, of their customers’ betting volumes—generally calculated through the use of special non-negotiable playing chips—rather than a split of their customers’ losses.

David Group, which owns a travel agency and a film production company, also publishes a lifestyle magazine in China to promote its brand and offerings, and Mr Ng says the company takes its VIPs shopping and sightseeing in desirable destinations across Asia, along with providing them opportunities to gamble at its private rooms in local casinos. Its customers are now visiting markets such as Manila, which is expanding with more elaborate resorts, Vietnam and South Korea, which is expanding in line with a friendlier official stance toward resort casino investment.

RelatedPosts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
IAG names Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau as venue and SJM Resorts S.A. as Venue Sponsor for 2025 Power 50 Black Tie Gala Dinner

SJM reports widened 1H25 loss despite GGR growing almost 12% to US$1.90 billion

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 18:54
Capital Punishment

SJM to relocate satellite casino gaming tables, slot machines to Macau’s famous Hotel Lisboa as part of US$68 million deal with parent company STDM

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 17:35
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Load More

The company also plans to enter the Australian market by the end of the year and later to expand to Europe, Mr Ng said.

Tags: David GroupJunketsMacauVIP Revenue
ShareShare
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English