• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Saturday 29 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Macau’s November Down Nearly 20%

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Mon 1 Dec 2014 at 07:28
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Macau casinos took in MOP24.3 billion (US$3.04 billion) in November, a year-on-year drop of 19.6% against a tough November 2013 comp of +21.3% and the lowest monthly total since September 2012.

The decline marks the sixth straight month that revenue has underperformed 2013, according to data released Monday by the government’s Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau.

Combined, the declines have brought year-to-date growth to a level nearly flat with last year at +0.3%.

“November has come in a little below our baseline, and we would expect December to be roughly similar, or a range of MOP24 billion to MOP25billion,” Union Gaming Research Macau said in a client note. “This translates to December y/y of -25% to -28%. On a full-year basis, this puts [revenue] on pace for a decline of 2%.”

The world’s largest casino market has been reeling since the spring from a combination of factors that are severely impacting volumes of play from mainland China, the casinos’ largest source of gaming revenue by far. A widespread crackdown by the central government on corruption and capital flight is wreaking havoc with the market’s dominant VIP and high-limit mass-market sectors. Players also are making fewer trips to the city as a result of stricter enforcement of third-country visa rules. Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests, now in their second month, are also deterring visits from China.

Slowing economic growth and tighter credit conditions on the mainland are playing a significant role as well. A new report by Reuters says junket operators are having to wait up to one year to recover on markers extended to VIPs. The news agency quotes junket consultant Tony Tong as saying junkets usually collect on credit within 30 days but now are holding an increasing amount of bad debt.

“The business model looks near broken,” said Hong Kong-based Standard Chartered analyst Philip Tulk.

Bloomberg, meanwhile, reports that the gaming slump has begun to take its toll on the larger Macau economy, which shrank 2.1% in the third quarter, the first quarterly contraction since the global financial crisis of 2009.

The revenue outlook heading into 2015 isn’t much brighter.

“Given the timing of Chinese New Year, (February 19 versus January 31 last year), we would expect January to be much like the final months of 2014, or around MOP24 billion to 25billion (down 13% to 17%),” UGRM said.

“We would then expect 100% of the Chinese New Year benefit to hit February 2015, but are still expecting a decline of 20% or more y/y (on an extremely tough +40% comp). Finally, we would expect March to look a lot like January. All in, we would not be surprised to see 1Q15 [revenue] decline in the low 20% range.”

RelatedPosts

Analysts Bearish as Macau’s Slump Is Expected To Continue

Fri 2 Jan 2015 at 23:24

Red October: Mass Plummets, Comps Get Tougher

Thu 6 Nov 2014 at 07:16

Macau’s September Down by Double Digits

Thu 2 Oct 2014 at 05:37

Second Down Month for Macau in July

Mon 4 Aug 2014 at 01:30
Load More
Tags: Macau Gaming Revenues
ShareShare
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:34

1xBet has signed a partnership with the VALORANT roster of esports powerhouse MIBR, becoming the first-ever official betting partner in the Riot Games ecosystem, the company said overnight. Under the partnership, 1xBet and MIBR will focus on creating a new,...

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:29

Genting Berhad’s US flagship, Resorts World Las Vegas, suffered another depressed quarter in 3Q25, with revenue declining 1% year-on-year and 3% quarter-on-quarter to US$175 million, The property also fell to an EBITDA loss of US$12 million compared with a gain...

Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05

Genting Malaysia comfortably beat forecasts in the three months to 30 September 2025, with group-wide revenues rising 22% year-on-year to MYR3.36 billion (US$813 million) on higher gaming revenues at flagship Resorts World Genting – particularly in the VIP segment. Although...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English