• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Casinos Ambushed: Macau Smoking Ban Is Real

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Mon 6 Oct 2014 at 03:21
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Macau’s public gaming floors are officially smoke-free as of today under rules that appear to be much stricter than casino operators and analysts expected.

Following on four straight months of declining revenue growth marked by concerns about the resiliency of the territory’s vaunted mass market, operators were counting on a flexible ban that would allow them to sequester cash table games with the highest betting limits — their most profitable business, the “premium mass,” as it’s known — in enclosed smoking areas.

This is based on a provision in the rules that is supposed to permit smoking in areas “that are of limited access to specific games and gamblers”. But the government now appears to be adhering to a memo it issued on 30th September that treats the ban literally and restricts all smoking on main floors to detached airport-style smoking rooms.

Brokerage Union Gaming Research Macau calls it “an 11th hour change of plans”.

“Based on conversations we’ve had with industry sources this weekend we can confirm that the smoking ban was apparently expanded to include 100% of mass– market floors, including premium-mass areas,” analysts Grant Govertsen and Felicity Chiang wrote in a client note issued Sunday. “This also includes any enclosed premium-mass areas that had been constructed under the spirit of the new regulations that seemingly allowed for smoking within so-called private gaming areas. This suggests that the recent construction of enclosed private gaming areas—at least for now—was an effort in futility.

“At least for now” is the operative phrase.

“We understand from the operators that the government needs more time to approve the new floor plan and the classification of premium mass area,” analysts Kenneth Fong and Isis Wong of investment bank Credit Suisse said on Friday. “The regulator wants to make sure that after the change, casino smoking floor area is still kept below 50%. So there is still potential for further change in smoking space allocation.”

As of Monday, only 12 casinos and machine gaming venues had completed construction of smoking rooms, according to Health Bureau Director Lei Chin Ion, who said those rooms were still “undergoing administrative procedures”.

The bureau had stated that it was “foreseeable that not all” gaming venues would be able to finish construction of their lounges ahead of the  ban, which has proved to be the case, which means that as the law is interpreted currently, those main floors without approved lounges have to be 100% smoke-free.

VIP rooms are exempt from the ban.

Union Gaming notes that “because operators were under the impression that smoking would be allowed in fully enclosed private gaming areas (to include premium mass), they did not build any smoking rooms within their premium-mass areas. Smoking rooms were only constructed on regular mass-market floors. As such, we would expect a new wave of construction to begin immediately to create smoking rooms within premium-mass areas.”

Given the apparent confusion, analysts aren’t certain how this will shake out in terms of gaming revenue. Most, though, are forecasting only a short-term impact until the rules are clarified, all smoking lounges are built and approved, and gamblers and operators have time to adjust.

As of last week, 28 properties had submitted requests with the bureau to establish a total of 62 smoking lounges.

The city has 35 casinos in all and five machine gaming parlors.

RelatedPosts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
IAG names Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau as venue and SJM Resorts S.A. as Venue Sponsor for 2025 Power 50 Black Tie Gala Dinner

SJM reports widened 1H25 loss despite GGR growing almost 12% to US$1.90 billion

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 18:54
Capital Punishment

SJM to relocate satellite casino gaming tables, slot machines to Macau’s famous Hotel Lisboa as part of US$68 million deal with parent company STDM

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 17:35
Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26
Load More
Tags: MacauMacau smoking bansmokingsmoking ban
Share1Share
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English