• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Fourth Atlantic City Casino Goes Down

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Wed 17 Sep 2014 at 03:20
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Trump Plaza closed its doors on Tuesday, the fourth Atlantic City casino to go out of business this year.

The struggling seaside resort, which has failed to stay competitive in a saturated Northeast market, started 2014 with 12 casinos. But with gaming revenues continuing to fall—they’ve plummeted by nearly 45% over the last eight years—Atlantic Club, Showboat, and most recently the new $2.4 billion Revel, have all closed.

Trump Plaza, once the centerpiece of the Boardwalk, has consistently been the city’s worst performer, and with its ownership group failing to find a buyer—the last potential deal, a bargain-basement $20 million sale, fell through when Carl Icahn, a principal investor, rejected it as too low—it was left to go to seed. Its demise was not unexpected. The owners, Trump Entertainment Resorts, filed for federal bankruptcy protection this month, its second trip into reorganization.

Trump Plaza opened in May 1984 as a joint venture between Donald Trump and Harrah’s at a prime location at the foot of the Atlantic City Expressway. Harrah’s exited early on and focused its efforts on a successful mid-market casino in the Marina section of town, while Trump Plaza secured a reputation as one of the city’s most luxurious casinos, a favored destination for high rollers, known in its heyday in the ’80s and early ’90s for star-studded Las Vegas-style after-parties when a major event like a Rolling Stones concert or a Mike Tyson prize fight was held next door at Boardwalk Hall.

Mr Trump, who went to court last month to try to get his name removed from the Plaza and Trump Taj Mahal — another struggling behemoth and it’s slated to close in November — still owns a 9% stake in Trump Entertainment Resorts and said he “will be taking a very serious look” at buying back the company. He said he would have to determine whether the Plaza is “viable” and worth reopening. The decision, he said, will come down to price.

“I got out years ago, the timing was good, but I feel really badly about the people,” he said. “I’ll take a good strong look at it.”

RelatedPosts

Macau GGR hits new post-pandemic high of MOP$20.8 billion in October

Academic says Macau gaming industry will be indirectly impacted by US-China tariff war

Thu 10 Apr 2025 at 17:51
Analysts puzzled as combined market cap of Macau concessionaires falls back to 2022 COVID levels

Macau’s Hong Kong-listed gaming stocks all fall by more than 10% Monday on impact of US tariffs

Mon 7 Apr 2025 at 18:55
After Donald Trump’s tariff barrage, US considering whether to eliminate tariff exemption for small parcels from Macau

After Donald Trump’s tariff barrage, US considering whether to eliminate tariff exemption for small parcels from Macau

Thu 3 Apr 2025 at 13:02

Macau included in US President Donald Trump’s investment restrictions against hostile “foreign adversaries”

Mon 24 Feb 2025 at 14:33
Load More
Tags: Atlantic CityDonald TrumpTrump Entertainment ResortsTrump Plaza
ShareShare
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Far East given green light to spin-off and list Czech casino business on Hong Kong Stock Exchange

Hong Kong’s Palasino books 8% revenue growth in 1H25 on improved performance of European casino operations

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 11:33

Hong Kong-listed Palasino Holdings Limited, the former gaming arm of real estate group Far East Consortium, reported an 8% increase in revenue to HK$305 million (US$39.2 million) in the six months to 30 September 2025 – primarily attributable to an...

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

1xBet Becomes the first Official Betting Partner of MIBR’s VALORANT esports team

by Newsdesk
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:34

1xBet has signed a partnership with the VALORANT roster of esports powerhouse MIBR, becoming the first-ever official betting partner in the Riot Games ecosystem, the company said overnight. Under the partnership, 1xBet and MIBR will focus on creating a new,...

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

Business recalibration, management changes still weighing Resorts World Las Vegas in 3Q25 as revenue falls to US$175 million

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:29

Genting Berhad’s US flagship, Resorts World Las Vegas, suffered another depressed quarter in 3Q25, with revenue declining 1% year-on-year and 3% quarter-on-quarter to US$175 million, The property also fell to an EBITDA loss of US$12 million compared with a gain...

Malaysia’s Resorts World Genting shuts two of its three casinos

Genting Malaysia warms up for New York license reveal with strong 3Q25 beat on improved gaming revenues at Resorts World Genting

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 05:05

Genting Malaysia comfortably beat forecasts in the three months to 30 September 2025, with group-wide revenues rising 22% year-on-year to MYR3.36 billion (US$813 million) on higher gaming revenues at flagship Resorts World Genting – particularly in the VIP segment. Although...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English