• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

In UK, War on e-Tables Heats Up

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Wed 8 Jan 2014 at 22:31
1
SHARES
30
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Britain’s Labour Party plans to call on Parliament to impose restrictions on the spread of a controversial class of electronic table game in the country’s high street betting shops.

With the casino-style machines, known as fixed-odds betting terminals, decried by problem gambling and community activists as a major social ill and opposed by local councils trying to stem a tide of betting shop license applications, Labour is joining the opposition Liberal Democrats in making a campaign issue of the machines.

A report by the BBC said the party will use an upcoming Opposition Day debate in the House of Commons to force the debate into the national spotlight.

Leader Ed Miliband said FOBTs are “becoming an epidemic” and has vowed to amend planning laws in England, Scotland and Wales to curb their growth if Labour regains power. The current limit of four machines per shop had led to “clusters” of shops opening together, he said, with councils powerless to stop them. He said his government would review the number of machines allowed per license and would legislate to place shops in a separate zoning class, which would allow councils to use planning powers to control their numbers. In some cases he said he wants councils to have the power to ban the machines outright, and he is pushing to slash the maximum bet size from £100 to £2 and implement technologies to limit play and remind gamblers of their spending.  

It was Tony Blair’s Labour government that relaxed decades-old regulations to allow the FOBTs to mushroom in the first place. However, the party has accused bookmakers of exploiting the reforms to target poorer areas of the country.

There are about 33,000 of the machines in operation in the UK, where they generate in excess of US$2.46 billion annually for the larger bookmakers, or about half their annual profits.

So far, the Conservative government has resisted calls to limit bet sizes and prizes, although Prime Minister David Cameron has promised to examine the issues.

RelatedPosts

Separation and instability in the EU

Thu 28 Dec 2017 at 18:26

UK’s Stricter Online Regs May Face Legal Challenge

Sat 20 Dec 2014 at 13:31

UK Rules Endanger Premier League’s Asian Sponsorships

Mon 12 May 2014 at 01:22

Britain Gets Tough on Web Gambling

Fri 21 Mar 2014 at 01:34
Load More
Tags: Betting ShopsEd MilibandFOBTsUK
ShareShare
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English