• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 30 November 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

LVS To Pay $47.4M in Money-Laundering Case

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Thu 29 Aug 2013 at 02:16
4
SHARES
89
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Las Vegas Sands has agreed to forfeit $47.4 million to the US government to avoid prosecution for failing to report millions of dollars in money transfers from a gambler linked to drug trafficking.

The deal was finalized Monday, according to news reports, in exchange for which the US Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles will not seek an indictment against the Las Vegas-based casino giant.

The settlement is based on what LVS reputedly won from the player, a Chinese-Mexican businessman named Ye Gon Zhenli, who gambled at several major casinos, including LVS’ Las Vegas flagship, The Venetian, between 2004 and 2007.

Prosecutors say Mr Ye transferred more than $45 million to The Venetian between 2006 and 2007, when he was the largest cash player the property had had to that point. He lost an estimated $84 million, including $36.5 million in credit that was later written off as uncollectable. His losses were large enough to affect the bonuses of many Sands and Venetian executives, including some involved in compliance, the settlement agreement states. His bets were monitored in real time and had an immediate effect on the company’s earnings, it said.

Mr Ye would wire money to LVS and subsidiary companies in small sums from different banks and currency-exchange houses in Mexico, where he operated a pharmaceutical factory. The money would arrive from companies he was not obviously connected to and that didn’t identify him as the beneficiary. The Wall Street Journal, citing information contained in the settlement agreement, reports that a portion of the transfers went into a Sands account that was usually used for aviation services and had not previously been used for gambling transfers. Such accounts are common in the industry to protect high rollers’ privacy.

“Millions of dollars earned from illegal drug trafficking were transferred through casino accounts in a complex scheme designed to thwart law enforcement detection,” said Anthony Williams, a special agent with the US Drug Enforcement Administration in Los Angeles.

Prosecutors say at least one LVS officer warned The Venetian about Mr Ye; and in April 2007, the property filed what is known as a “suspicious activity report” on him, as required by federal law; but they say it left out key transactions. The report was filed a month after Mr Ye’s Mexico City home was raided by police and $207 million in US currency was seized. He was later indicted in the US on narcotics charges, but the case was dismissed in 2009. He is awaiting extradition to Mexico, where he faces drug trafficking charges.

According a statement from the US Attorney’s Office, LVS admitted “in hindsight that it failed to fully appreciate the suspicious nature of the information or lack thereof pertaining to Ye Gon,” and the government agreed not to prosecute based on the company’s cooperation, according to a letter dated 26th August from Assistant US Attorney Kevin Rosenberg and cited by Reuters.

The terms of the agreement require Sands to conduct two years of reviews of its anti-money laundering policies and file periodic reports with the government. The company also has agreed not to use accounts with generic names.

“All companies, especially casinos, are now on notice that America’s anti-money laundering laws apply to all people and every corporation, even if that company risks losing its most profitable customer,” said US Attorney André Birotte.

The Journal notes that LVS also was under federal investigation in connection with its handling of funds from a second high roller, who was later convicted of a crime, but he wasn’t named in the agreement.

In a separate case, the company acknowledged in March that it had “likely” violated record-keeping provisions of the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, which outlaws the bribery of foreign officials. Sands has said it is cooperating with that investigation, which was launched early in 2011 and is ongoing.

RelatedPosts

2025 Asian Gaming Power 50: Number 10 – Wilfred Wong

2025 Asian Gaming Power 50: Number 4 – Robert Goldstein

Tue 11 Nov 2025 at 12:31
2025 Asian Gaming Power 50: Number 10 – Wilfred Wong

2025 Asian Gaming Power 50: Number 7 – Patrick Dumont

Tue 11 Nov 2025 at 12:12
Marina Bay Sands completes transformation of entire hotel room inventory

Marina Bay Sands abandons standard hold calculations on rolling baccarat as theoretical rates hit new heights

Thu 23 Oct 2025 at 05:59
Inside Thai IRs

Las Vegas Sands on the rise in 3Q25 as stunning Singapore run continues, Macau resorts show sequential improvement

Thu 23 Oct 2025 at 05:11
Load More
Tags: Las Vegas Sands
Share2Share
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Cause and effect

Editorial – Cause and effect

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:40

Since news broke recently of a sports betting scandal involving certain NBA players and coaching staff sharing inside information with...

Lap of luxury

Lap of luxury

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:23

Set to open its first phase in February, the eco-luxury golf and lifestyle estate Hann Reserve not only promises to...

Staying connected

Staying connected

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 28 Nov 2025 at 00:09

With a senate hearing into the Philippines’ booming eGames, or domestic online gaming, industry already proving successful in having stricter...

Party at the Palace

Party at the Palace

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 27 Nov 2025 at 18:47

A who’s who of the Asian gaming industry gathered at SJM’s Grand Lisboa Palace Resort Macau on 7 November as...

Evolution Asia
Dolby banner
Aristocrat banner
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
NWR

Related Posts

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

Macau satellite casino Ponte 16 officially closes with hundreds of locals gathering to witness the event

by Pierce Chan
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 16:57

After operating for over 17 years, the Ponte 16 casino – a satellite casino on the Macau Peninsula – finally shut its doors on Friday following the withdrawal of an acquisition plan by SJM Holdings. SJM announced on 16 November...

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate reaches 89% in July

Macau hotel occupancy rate rises to 89.3% in October

by Newsdesk
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 15:52

Macau’s hotels recorded an average occupancy rate of 89.3% in October, representing a 0.9 percentage point increase from October 2024 according to information from the Statistics and Census Service (DSEC). This included a 1.8 percentage point increase in 5-star hotels...

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

Online gaming live in the UAE as lottery licensee Momentum launches online casino, sportsbook platforms

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:43

The UAE’s only licensed lottery is reported to have launched two online betting platforms offering both online casino and sports betting to customers. According to local media outlet Arabian Gulf Business Insights, the platforms – named TrueWin and Dream Island...

Asia market roundup

Genting Berhad issues another US$62 million in notes to fund Genting Malaysia takeover bid

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 30 Nov 2025 at 06:33

Genting Berhad has issued a third tranche of notes in as many weeks under its MYR10 billion (US$2.40 billion) Medium Term Notes Programme as efforts to fund the ongoing acquisition of shares in Genting Malaysia continues. The company revealed in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English