• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

SJM’s troubles—a missed opportunity for foreign-owned casinos in Macau

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Sat 5 Mar 2011 at 12:06
2
SHARES
56
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The battle among the Ho family over control of STDM and SJM was arguably a perfect opportunity for Macau’s foreign casino operators to forge new and stronger relationships with Macau junkets—the people who deliver nearly 80% of the territory’s gaming revenue. It’s an opportunity that appears to have been squandered.

Industry sources told Inside Asian Gaming e-Newsletter there had been genuine fears over at SJM that the current power vacuum and uncertainty over the STDM/SJM leadership would strengthen the hand of the foreign operators when dealing with the junkets.

“It’s been interesting to see the courtship dances going on in the background during the SJM leadership saga,” said one source.

“SJM has certainly been aware that rival operators have been approaching SJM junket partners to see if there were opportunities to work together,” the source added.

That in itself isn’t so surprising. Any period of leadership transition—either in business or politics—is a time of uncertainty. Junkets doing well under the regime of Dr Stanley Ho want to know if they will continue to do well under the new regime or whether they will have their terms of business significantly altered when a new management comes in. Given that Dr Ho has been fronting STDM and latterly also SJM for a total of half a century, no one currently active in the Macau gaming industry has ever known anything else. A new leadership at STDM/SJM could really be a leap in the dark for the junkets.

Recent events at Sands China, Las Vegas Sands Corp’s local unit, have, however, acted as a sharp reminder to Macau junkets of the regulatory complications that can go with working with the US-listed and US-regulated operators.

The close-knit Macau junket community is said to be alarmed in particular by reports that two US Federal bodies—the Department of Justice and the US Securities and Exchange Commission—are investigating the Macau operations of Sands China. The 19th century reactionary and British prime minister Lord Salisbury believed that good government flourished in secret. Something similar could be said about junkets’ attitudes to VIP gaming in Macau.

“It certainly doesn’t make it any easier for LVS to develop its relationships with Macau junkets if those junkets think a federal body [the DoJ] that has previously accused Stanley Ho of triad links, is looking at LVS,” said a source.

Michael Leven, the acting Chief Executive of Sands China, said in an interview with the Macau media this week he thought the involvement of the US authorities in Sands China’s business was directly attributable to allegations made by former Sands China CEO Steve Jacobs in a wrongful dismissal suit in the US. Mr Jacobs, who was sacked in July last year, has been described by LVS as “a disgruntled former employee”.

RelatedPosts

Capital Punishment

SJM to relocate satellite casino gaming tables, slot machines to Macau’s famous Hotel Lisboa as part of US$68 million deal with parent company STDM

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 17:35
Mario Ho, son of Macau’s Stanley Ho, becomes co-owner and board member of NBA team Boston Celtics

Mario Ho, son of Macau’s Stanley Ho, becomes co-owner and board member of NBA team Boston Celtics

Wed 20 Aug 2025 at 15:23
Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

Thu 12 Jun 2025 at 12:54
Macau’s new 50,000-capacity outdoor performance venue to operate on trial basis for one year

Macau’s new 50,000-capacity outdoor performance venue to operate on trial basis for one year

Thu 5 Dec 2024 at 17:24
Load More
Tags: LVSSJMStanley HoSteve Jacobs
Share1Share
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Asia market roundup

Higher business volumes, margins at Resorts World Genting drive improved 2Q25 results for Genting Malaysia

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:09

Genting Malaysia reported group-wide revenue of MYR2.92 billion (US$692 million) in the three months to 30 June 2025, up 9% year-on-year thanks to improvements across all regions including a 10% increase in revenue at flagship Resorts World Genting (RWG) in...

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

by Pierce Chan
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09

Sands China has now welcomed more than 1.1 billion guests across its Macau integrated resorts, representing a significant milestone in its more than 20-year history operating in Macau, the company stated Thursday. In an announcement that also coincided with the...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English