• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

LVS in talks to ensure hotel chains stay committed to delayed Cotai 5 and 6

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Tue 1 Mar 2011 at 13:08
2
SHARES
41
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Las Vegas Sands Corp (LVS) said today in a 10-K filing to the US Securities and Exchange Commission it is in talks with leading hotel groups Starwood and Shangri-La to amend the terms under which they will manage four hotels on Cotai Plots 5 and 6.

LVS said in the annual report to stockholders that the talks relate to extending the construction deadlines for the hotels, which are being built by LVS, but operated by the hotel groups. A total of 6,400 rooms are due to be built on Cotai 5 and 6, shared between Starwood’s  Sheraton and St Regis brands, and Shangri-La’s Traders and Shangri-La brands.

LVS added that if the talks with Starwood and Shangri-La are not successful, it’s possible, in a worst-case scenario, the hotel groups could seek to withdraw from the project.

“Our management agreements with Starwood and Shangri-La impose certain construction deadlines and opening obligations on us and certain past and/or anticipated delays, as described above, would allow Starwood and Shangri-La to terminate their respective agreements,” stated the company.

“We are currently negotiating (or undertaking to negotiate) amendments to the management agreements with Starwood and Shangri-La to provide for new opening timelines,” it added.

The opening of Cotai 5 and 6 has been put back several times due to construction labour shortages in Macau. In June 2010 LVS said in an SEC filing it expected that first phase to be ready by the third quarter of this year. In the company’s third quarter earnings conference call in October last year Michael Leven, acting CEO of Sands China, said initially he expected clarity on Cotai 5 and 6’s opening “in 30 days” then amended that by the end of the call to “by the end of this year”. In November last  year the company issued a further statement saying the project’s completion date was not “currently determinable with certainty”, citing the labour shortage. Days later the Macau government told LVS in a letter it had “not approved” the company’s plan for construction on the neighbouring Cotai Plots 7 and 8 but added subsequently in remarks made by officials that the company had the right to appeal the decision. That non-approval was however confirmed two weeks later.

Today’s SEC filing reiterated the difficulty in setting a new deadline for Cotai 5 and 6.
“We are currently working with the Macau government to obtain sufficient construction labor for the project,” stated the company.

“Until adequate labor quotas are received, the timing of the completion of phases I and  II is currently not determinable; however, we are progressing on alternative scenarios for completion of selected portions of phases I and II with the construction labor currently onsite. We intend to commence construction of phase III of the project as demand and market conditions warrant it.”

Sheldon Adelson, Chairman and Chief Executive of LVS, said last month in comments to journalists in Singapore that the loss of Cotai 7 and 8 was not a major setback for his company. He added it was looking to expand its Marina Bay Sands operation in Singapore and had asked the government there for more land.

RelatedPosts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
A New Macau

Seaport: Sands China targeting US$1.5 billion in annual dividend payments

Fri 22 Aug 2025 at 05:23

Sands China maintains 1H25 dividend levels despite “competitive nature” of Macau market eating into revenue, profit

Mon 18 Aug 2025 at 04:50
Sands China announces appointment of Patrick Dumont as new non-executive director

Sands China announces appointment of Patrick Dumont as new non-executive director

Sun 10 Aug 2025 at 16:25
Load More
Tags: Cotai 5 & 6Cotai 7 & 8Las Vegas SandsSands ChinaShangri-LaStarwood
Share1Share
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Asia market roundup

Higher business volumes, margins at Resorts World Genting drive improved 2Q25 results for Genting Malaysia

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:09

Genting Malaysia reported group-wide revenue of MYR2.92 billion (US$692 million) in the three months to 30 June 2025, up 9% year-on-year thanks to improvements across all regions including a 10% increase in revenue at flagship Resorts World Genting (RWG) in...

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

by Pierce Chan
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09

Sands China has now welcomed more than 1.1 billion guests across its Macau integrated resorts, representing a significant milestone in its more than 20-year history operating in Macau, the company stated Thursday. In an announcement that also coincided with the...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English