• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Sunday 31 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

‘AngelaLand’ to morph into a gaming resort after all?

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Sat 18 Dec 2010 at 09:12
2
SHARES
48
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

What happens when you propose a theme park in Macau and announce with much fanfare that it won’t have a casino—and then a casino operator with which you are intimately associated says it would quite like to build a project next to that theme park? Answer: you get an integrated gaming resort.

It looks like a beautifully Chinese solution to the problem of how to adapt to the (apparent) new Macau government policy of limiting gaming growth on Cotai while expanding leisure and tourism. By using a ‘grandmother’s footsteps’ approach to the issue, the parties involved (yes you guessed it, our old friends SJM) could get what others (i.e. foreigners) have been told they will have to wait their turn for.

This particular plot twist in the Macau soap opera began last month. It was then that Angela Leong, Dr Stanley Ho’s fourth consort and an SJM director (who incidentally increased her shareholding in SJM this week when Dr Ho transferred ownership of 7% of the company from his name to hers) announced plans to build a MOP 10.4 billion (USD1.3 billion) family-focused theme park on Cotai. The vehicle for this project—Macau Theme Park and Resort Ltd—has apparently already acquired a 200,000 square metre site next to the Macao Dome. So much for the new ‘transparent’ policies on land allocation supposedly enshrined in Macau’s new Land Law—the same ‘policies’ that could supposedly hold up Wynn and MGM’s Cotai projects because of the need to put their previously earmarked land out to public tender.

In addition to the plots known as Cotai 7 and 8 previously linked with Sands China that SJM coveted but was told this week it cannot have after all, SJM has also applied for a 70,000 sq. m. site next to the Macau Dome. It’s this site that could be ‘integrated’ with Angela Leong’s theme park.

“We are not a shareholder in the theme park development, but we did talk with Angela Leong, who is developing that theme park, to see if there is a synergy between the two plots of land,” Ambrose So, Chief Executive of SJM told journalists on Thursday.

Dr So didn’t mention the word ‘casino’ in relation to this potentially integrated site, but it seems the only logical reason for SJM to get involved.

SJM’s ambition for the site doesn’t stop there. Dr So told the Macau Daily Times last month that the company would like to incorporate the Macau Dome—a sports facility built for the East Asian Games in 2005 but something of a White Elephant since then—into its plans for the site. The Macau Dome was originally paid for with public money; i.e. by citizen taxpayers and by the casino operators (and indirectly the players, including citizens of China) that pay nearly 40% of the gross to the government in gaming tax). It will be interesting, therefore, to see whether SJM would want to have ownership of the Dome and the economic benefits of managing it transferred in full to SJM, or whether it would merely sit in the middle of the resort and continue to be publicly managed. If it’s the former, then one wonders how the valuation on the structure will be decided and how transparent that process will be.

For the record, Ms Leong’s portion of the project is due to have one 5-star, four 4-star and one 3-star hotels with a total of more than 6,000 guest rooms, shopping malls, convention facilities, an indoor beach and wave pool, amusement rides, a 4-D theatre (whatever that it), an equestrian centre, a horse carriage trail and a water sports centre.

RelatedPosts

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45
Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43
Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32
Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Sands China celebrates 1.1 billion cumulative visitors to its Macau resorts

Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 19:09
Load More
Tags: Angela LeongCotaiMacauSJM
Share1Share
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

The Star Sydney’s casino license in limbo as final report from second inquiry handed to regulator

Son of Star’s largest shareholder joins Star Entertainment Group board as non-executive director

by Newsdesk
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 09:16

Troubled Star Entertainment Group has announced the appointment of Bruce Mathieson Jr – the son of Australian pub baron and Star’s largest shareholder Bruce Mathieson – as a non-executive director of the company, subject to regulatory approvals. Mathieson Jr, currently...

Melco prices US$750 million Senior Notes offering

Melco Resorts parent Melco International back in the black with US$45 million 1H25 profit

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:45

Melco’s Hong Kong-listed parent Melco International Development Ltd recorded a profit attributable to owners of the company of HK$350.8 million (US$45.0 million) for the six months to 30 June 2025, buoyed by the improved performance of its gaming and non-gaming...

Morgan Stanley: Macau’s peninsula IRs could claim some GGR share from closure of SJM’s satellites

SJM still in discussions over acquisition of Macau satellite casinos Ponte 16 and L’Arc

by Ben Blaschke
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 08:43

SJM Holdings is still in discussions over a possible acquisition of two Macau satellite casinos as it continues preparations for the cessation of the city’s satellite industry, management has confirmed. The update formed part of the company’s earnings call late...

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

Macau hotel occupancy rate reached 91% in July, up 1.9 percentage points year-on-year

by Pierce Chan
Sun 31 Aug 2025 at 06:32

Macau’s hotel occupancy rate surpassed the 90% threshold in July, reaching 91% for a year-on-year gain of 1.9 percentage points, according to information from the Statistics and Census Service. Benefiting from the summer holiday peak season, all tourism metrics in...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English