• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Galaxy Entertainment Ebitda more than doubles

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Oct 2010 at 18:18
2
SHARES
56
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

By Kate O’Keeffe

The Wall Street Journal (Online and Print)

HONG KONG—Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd. on Thursday reiterated the early 2011 opening date for its flagship casino resort in Macau and said its third-quarter earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization more than doubled from a year earlier.

The Hong Kong-listed casino operator, controlled by the family of tycoon Lui Che Woo, said Ebitda for the three months ended Sept. 30 rose to 616 million Hong Kong dollars ($79.4 million) from HK$287 million, driven by greater gaming volumes and cost controls at its StarWorld casino and hotel. It was the company’s eighth-consecutive quarter of Ebitda growth. Galaxy didn’t disclose its third-quarter net profit.

Third-quarter revenue rose 88% to HK$5.4 billion from HK$2.9 billion amid a more than 60% jump in gambling revenue in Macau in the January-September period.

Executives reiterated in an interview that the company’s new casino resort will open as scheduled in early 2011, despite concerns among analysts the project could be delayed after two senior executives at the nearly $2 billion casino resort project resigned.

“We’re very confident about the opening schedule,” said Galaxy Chief Financial Officer Bob Drake, adding that he was also sure the project would open “with the right amount of people,” even as Macau is facing a labor shortage with a 97% employment rate. Galaxy needs 7,500 to 8,000 staff for the resort, he said.

Wells Fargo analyst Carlo Santarelli wrote in a note Monday that he had already considered an early 2011 opening for Galaxy to be “an aggressive timeline,” and that the executives’ departure made it seem “even less likely” the project would open as scheduled. Instead, he is expecting a May or June launch.

Galaxy said Monday that Steve Wolstenholme, chief operating officer of the Galaxy Macau project, and Jeff King, senior vice president of marketing for Galaxy Macau, had resigned. Messrs. Wolstenholme and King were two of four executives dedicated to the project listed on the company website’s management page.

Mr. Drake said Francis Lui, the company’s vice chairman, spearheads corporate strategy and that the two executives had just been implementing his vision.

Galaxy said in August it would spend an extra HK$800 million to open a larger proportion of the 2,200 rooms planned for the Galaxy Macau project at its launch because it doesn’t expect any new casino openings in Macau for “at least the next 12 months.”

The company’s decision to increase its investment in the project to a total HK$14.9 billion at such a late stage came as casino operators have been scrambling to boost their presence in the territory, the world’s largest gambling center by revenue.

Rival Sands China Ltd. said in August it would delay the opening of its US$4.1 billion expansion project in Macau because of a lack of construction workers.

Galaxy executives also said Thursday the company wasn’t partaking in any “commission war” to drive its business. The comments follow recent speculation from analysts and operators that some casino firms have been offering increasingly favorable terms to junkets to drive market share.

“We want to make it crystal clear that we focus on driving profitable volumes and we’re not involved in any commission war or cannibalization,” said investor relations principal Peter Caveny.

Junkets, a fixture in the Macau gambling market, bring high-spending gamblers to the casinos, issue them credit and collect on debts in exchange for commission. As gambling debt isn’t recognized in China, there are no legal means for casinos to recover debts owed to them by Chinese gamblers, who account for the majority of their customers.

Sands China Chairman Sheldon Adelson said on a Las Vegas Sands Corp. earnings call Wednesday that Galaxy may be involved in a pricing war in Macau along with some of the other operators.

“Under these arrangements, the operator may actually receive as little as 3% of gross revenue, but they use 100% of the gross revenue to determine their market share,” he said.

RelatedPosts

Experts claim 90% of Macau money exchange gangs eradicated since passing of illegal gaming law

Morgan Stanley says Macau now a growth market, raising 2025 GGR and EBITDA forecasts after two consecutive monthly beats

Mon 4 Aug 2025 at 11:48
Macau GGR hits new post-pandemic high of MOP$20.8 billion in October

Citi: Macau industry EBITDA likely to have grown by 3% in 2Q25

Thu 10 Jul 2025 at 05:46
Light & Wonder appoints Oliver Chow as Chief Financial Officer

Macquarie forecast for Light & Wonder falls just shy of US$2 billion 2028 EBITDA target

Tue 17 Jun 2025 at 05:46
Death by a thousand cuts

SkyCity revises down FY25 profit forecast on reduced customer spending

Tue 6 May 2025 at 10:49
Load More
Tags: Bob DrakeEbitdaGalaxyPeter Caveny
Share1Share
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English