• Subscribe
  • Magazines
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
Friday 29 August 2025
  • zh-hant 中文
  • ja 日本語
  • en English
IAG
Advertisement
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • CNMI
    • Europe
    • Hong Kong
    • India
    • Japan
    • Laos
    • Latin America
    • Malaysia
    • Macau
    • Nepal
    • New Zealand
    • North America
    • North Korea
    • Philippines
    • Russia
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sri Lanka
    • Thailand
    • UAE
    • Vietnam
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
No Result
View All Result
IAG
No Result
View All Result

Galaxy Entertainment confirms departure of two senior executives

Newsdesk by Newsdesk
Tue 26 Oct 2010 at 01:39
1
SHARES
33
VIEWS
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

By Kate O’Keeffe
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

HONG KONG (Dow Jones)–Two senior executives integral to Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd.’s (0027.HK) nearly US$2 billion casino resort project have resigned, the company said Monday, raising the possibility of delays.
Steve Wolstenholme, chief operating officer of the company’s flagship Galaxy Macau project, and Jeff King, senior vice president of marketing for Galaxy Macau, will depart shortly, Galaxy said in a statement, confirming an earlier Dow Jones Newswires report.
Wolstenholme, Galaxy Macau’s top-ranked executive, and King are two of only four executives dedicated to the project that are listed on the company website’s management page.
The Hong Kong-listed casino operator, controlled by the family of tycoon Lui Che Woo, said the management changes won’t affect the company’s performance or its project, which is still set to open in early 2011.
But Wells Fargo analyst Carlo Santarelli wrote in a report that he had already considered that to be “an aggressive timeline,” and the executives’ departure makes it seem “even less likely” the project will open on time.
Wells Fargo expects Galaxy Macau to open in May or June.
Wolstenholme and King couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.
“When management changes like this happen, you have to be concerned,” said Royal Bank of Scotland Group PLC analyst Philip Tulk. “The question is whether they have the bench strength to execute the strategy of the board and (Galaxy Entertainment Vice Chairman) Francis Lui.”
Aaron Fischer, an analyst at CLSA, said: “It’s never a good sign when people quit ahead of an opening.”
However, he added a management change soon before the opening wouldn’t preclude a strong launch. “People quit Las Vegas Sands (LVS) before the Marina Bay Sands opening and the initial performance has been successful,” he said.
Galaxy Entertainment, which is scheduled to report third-quarter operating data this week, said in August it would spend an extra HK$800 million to open a larger proportion of the 2,200 rooms planned for the Galaxy Macau project at its launch to “fully exploit” the fact that there will be no other new casino openings in Macau for “at least the next 12 months.”
Galaxy’s surprise decision to increase its investment in the project to a total HK$14.9 billion (US$1.92 billion) at such a late stage came as casino operators have been scrambling to boost their presence in the territory, the world’s largest gambling center.
Rival Sands China Ltd. (1928.HK) said in August it would delay the opening of its US$4.1 billion expansion project in Macau because of a lack of construction workers.
Galaxy said in a statement Wolstenholme resigned for personal reasons and will leave the company in November. Galaxy Entertainment President Mike Mecca will assume his duties “in the interim,” the statement said without elaborating.
The statement said Raymond Yap, the company’s senior vice president of international premium market development, will take over King’s duties while the company looks for a permanent replacement.

RelatedPosts

Chow Tai Fook-linked VMS Group assumes controlling stake in Hoiana, names Benny Chong and Alan Teo to lead new management team

Chow Tai Fook-linked VMS Group assumes controlling stake in Hoiana, names Benny Chong and Alan Teo to lead new management team

Thu 30 Jan 2025 at 10:29
Dr Wilfred Wong

Citi: Spending trends of Macau’s high rollers accelerating in 2024

Mon 23 Sep 2024 at 14:29
Angel to expand Macau presence by developing new US$130 million factory in Cotai

Angel to expand Macau presence by developing new US$130 million factory in Cotai

Thu 12 Sep 2024 at 21:34
A New Macau

A New Macau

Thu 30 May 2024 at 16:50
Load More
Tags: CotaiGalaxyJeff KingSteve Wolstenholme
ShareShare
Newsdesk

Newsdesk

The IAG Newsdesk team comprises some of the most experienced journalists in the Asian gaming industry. Offering a broad range of expertise, their decades of combined know-how spans multiple countries across a variety of topics.

Current Issue

Editorial – Flipping the script

Editorial – Flipping the script

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:30

This month represents an important milestone for Inside Asian Gaming as we launch IAG EXPO – an expansion of the...

Asia market roundup

Asia market roundup

by Ben Blaschke
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 12:26

Inside Asian Gaming takes a deep dive into the state of Asia-Pacific’s key gaming markets: who’s hot, who’s not and...

Rewriting the rules

Rewriting the rules

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:43

IAG EXPO, taking place at Newport World Resorts from 8 to 10 September, is not your usual trade show. IAG...

Test of character

Test of character

by Newsdesk
Thu 28 Aug 2025 at 11:28

Since its establishment in 1989, Gaming Laboratories International (GLI) has developed into the world’s most trusted name when it comes...

Evolution Asia
Your browser does not support HTML5 video.
Aristocrat
GLI
Nustar
SABA
Mindslot
Solaire
Hann
Tecnet
HKUST
NWR

Related Posts

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

All your sports entertainment with SABA Sports – always fair and sharp since 1998.

by Newsdesk
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:57

CLIENT PROMOTION Since 1998, SABA Sports has stood as the trusted backbone of the world’s most respected sports betting brands. Built on real-time intelligence and operational excellence, we have earned our reputation as the definitive partner for leading operators worldwide....

Newly appointed Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra expected to continue pursuit of legalized casinos

Thai casino bill dead in the water as Constitutional Court removes Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra from office

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 18:44

Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra has been removed from office for ethics violations after the Constitutional Court ruled 6-3 against her on Friday. She becomes Thailand’s sixth Prime Minister to be removed by a court or legal ruling since 2008...

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group says available cash halved in December 2024 quarter as liquidity crunch bites again

Star Entertainment Group falls to AU$471.5 million loss in FY25 as remediation, regulatory hurdles continue to bite

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 07:38

Australia’s Star Entertainment Group has reported a statutory loss of AU$471.5 million (US$308 million) for the financial year ended 30 June 2025, impacted by a 29% year-on-year decline in group-wide revenue including a 37% fall in gaming revenue. Although the...

Resorts World Las Vegas – Lighting up the north

Recovery of VIP gaming business helps Genting’s Resorts World Las Vegas book improved revenues of US$180 million in 2Q25

by Ben Blaschke
Fri 29 Aug 2025 at 05:30

Resorts World Las Vegas (RWLV), the US flagship of Malaysian gaming giant Genting Berhad, saw revenues grow by 8% quarter-on-quarter to US$180 million and EBITDA by 80% to US$18 million in 2Q25, with the company pointing to improved hold and...

Your browser does not support the video tag.


IAG

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • SUBSCRIBE FREE
  • NEWSFEED
  • MAG ARTICLES
  • VIDEO
  • OPINION
  • TAGS
  • REGIONAL
  • EVENTS
  • CONSULTING
  • CONTRIBUTORS
  • MAGAZINES
  • ABOUT
  • CONTACT
  • ADVERTISE

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Subscribe
  • Newsfeed
  • Mag Articles
  • Video
  • Opinion
  • Tags
  • Regional
  • Events
  • Contributors
  • Magazines
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • About
  • Home for G2E Asia

© 2005-2025
Inside Asian Gaming.
All rights reserved.

  • English